Mark your 2020 calendars for the October 9th SPECIAL SHOW for Special People
Overview and Ticket Requests-Open NOW for 2020
YOUR NAME COULD BE HERE!
SPECIAL SHOW OVERVIEW
The Wings Over Houston Special Show for the physically and mentally challenged will be the Friday before Airshow weekend. This show is for those persons who, because of a lifetime physical or mental condition, would have difficulty attending the Saturday and Sunday shows. When requesting tickets, please use realistic numbers and limit your request to your challenged individuals, their immediate providers or chaperones, and transportation drivers. The tickets are valid for the Friday show only.
The Special Show is a smaller 2-hour version of the Airshow with the performers volunteering their time and their aircraft. The performers who appear will be exciting and enjoyable, but to avoid disappointment the day of the show, please note that the military demonstrations do not perform at the Special Show.
Our guests sit in a designated open area with a large tent available for those needing to sit in the shade. Some of the pilots and skydivers typically mingle with the crowd so feel free to take pictures and ask for autographs.
Volunteering–open for 2020
The Special Show requires a large number of additional volunteers (about 250), many of whom are provided by corporate sponsors. Watching the faces of these special people as they enjoy the Airshow is an experience in itself. They are always totally involved with what’s going on, and those who are there to ensure they have a day to remember find themselves receiving more than they give. Along with the great feeling of helping someone less fortunate, our volunteers also receive a lunch after the guests are gone, and one general admission adult ticket to the weekend show good either Saturday or Sunday.
Ellington Airport is a secured area, therefore every guest, chaperone, and driver must have a show email invitation and security identification sticker, and all vehicles are required to have a “Wings Over Houston” vehicle pass visibly posted. You must provide your own transportation. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON YOUR VEHICLE PASS. Entrance is off of Highway 3 through the South entrance to Ellington Airport on Brantly Street. If you come in the main entrance across from FM 1959, you may not be able to locate our gate.
All vehicles will be parked inside the gate on the Airfield if space allows. Due to ongoing construction at Ellington Airport, we will have only one gate to use as both an entrance and exit. Therefore, there is no ability for vehicles to go in and out. Please notify drivers/others that vehicles will need to stay on the airport property inside the gate until departure begins at or near the end of the show.
Special Show hours are approximately 10 a.m. to Noon. Gates open at 9 a.m. Often vehicles begin lining up before 9, but PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE PRIOR TO 9 a.m. OR LATER THAN 11 a.m. No one will be admitted before 9 a.m. or later than 11 a.m.
- During the Special Show, water will be provided; however, no other drink or food is provided or available (no vendors are in operation). Some groups bring drinks and snacks for their members, but please do not bring elaborate food, lunches, etc. due to the length of the show, the size of the crowd and other logistics.
- All guests and their vehicles will need to depart the airfield immediately after the Special Show. If you are planning to eat lunch with your group, you will need to find another location off the Airfield.
- Oversized portable toilets will be available for those requiring additional access for caregivers or wheelchairs. There will also be a small privacy tent for changing, administering medication or other private needs of our guests.
- Note that some acts may include explosives to simulate bombs or air-to-air combat, so please bring ear protection if needed. Depending on the weather and winds, the simulated bombing may cause smoke in the area. You may also want to bring sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc. If sensitive to smoke please be prepared to have needed items on hand. Typical winds are north to south, but occasionally the wind and smoke blow into the crowd with an east wind.
- If you have any truly unusual specials needs or requests (keeping in mind that all our guests have special needs), or have other questions, please contact the airshow office at 281-579-1942
- There is no smoking on the Airfield – it is a City of Houston ordinance.
Ticket Requests-Open for 2020
DUE TO LIMITATIONS OF SPACE AND PARKING, PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO GROUPS (eg. schools and organizations) APPROVAL OF REQUESTS BY INDIVIDUALS/FAMILIES WILL BE DETERMINED CLOSER TO THE EVENT.
All tickets and vehicle passes will be sent by email. Please register using our online registration form (see link below) and thus receive your tickets and passes by e-mail. We receive and process many requests so please send in your request right away, especially for groups.
The deadline for ticket requests that are to be delivered via email is October 5.
Organization Coordinators Please Note: Group names are specific according to location/address and are not a blanket specific by group names. A separate ticket request should be submitted for each group location.
We typically respond via email within 3-5 days once registration is active. In the past some email hosts prevented our emails from being delivered. Please add “wingsoverhouston.com” to your accepted sender list and/or check your Spam folder. If you do not receive a response from us within 5 days, please send an email to email@example.com
Click the link below and complete the form. When you click the Submit Form button your information will be sent to us. Submitting a ticket request does not guarantee your application acceptance — all applications must be reviewed and approved by WOH Special Show staff.